Meet at the BCYC, 74 Pond Street, to assist the Braintree Food Pantry with the unloading and sorting of grocery items, collected by the letter carriers on their routes today. This is a nice community service event. If we’re not finished before the BCYC opens for the evening, you can stay; and we’ll order some food to serve as supper. Sign up in the BCYC office.
Braintree Police Youth Academy
Officer Ed Woo from Braintree Police Department
Plans are underway for BPD’s first “Youth Police Academy”!
This pilot is 1 of the 3 Community Outreach initiatives we were able to develop after being awarded a federal grant. The 1st two pilot initiatives (Citizens Police Academy & RAD Women’s Self Defense) both received a significant positive response from residents that we’re able to adopt and continue the programs further. The Youth Academy is the next venture.
Students must be Braintree residents, currently in the 6th grade and moving onto the 7th next year. There will be 2; 1 week sessions: M-F; 8:30a-2:30p (Times Subject to Change)
– Class size will be a max of 30 Students (example but not limiting to Braintree Schools: 15 from South Middle School and 15 from East Middle School)
– Students will be selected by lottery (to be drawn by each respective Principal in June)
– Applications will be available at each respective school on May 2nd in the principal’s office or reach out to BPD if your student does not attend one of the public middle schools but is a resident.
– The first session will be 7/11 – 7/15. The second will be 7/18-7/22.
– Curriculum will include: Hands Only CPR Certification, K9 Demonstrations, SWAT Class, Tour of the Dedham Correctional Facility (Presentation & Q/A by selected inmates), tentative Tour of the MBTA Training Facility, Age appropriate drug presentations with guest speakers, daily physical training and many other Police/1st Responder related topics.
If interested, tell your student to be on the lookout the first week in May. The deadline to receive the applications will be May 31st. Accepted applicants will be notified by the 2nd week in June.
Braintree youth in grades 6-12, join us on Friday and Saturday evenings for the best deal in town. Once a member come as often as you like to play pool, ping pong, board games, or video games. You can also lounge on our comfy couches to watch TV and movies or listen to music. Don’t forget to check out our snack bar. Meet up with friends and make new ones! Semi-annual membership of $18 which is just $3/mo., guest fee is $3 per visit.
Hours & Address
74 Pond Street
6:00pm – 9:00pm
Grades 6th-8th 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Grades 9th-12th 6:00pm – 10:00pm